Saturday, September 18, 2010

About me

I am a 29 year old from Minnesota who has been physically and emotionally been dealing with the difficulty of having a class III malocclusion aka underbite.  I have a pretty severe case which requires surgery to fix, the moving of both my upper and lower jaw.  I'll post some pictures soon so you can see.

In middle school is when the teasing started.  Jay Leno, Beavis, moon face.... I've heard it all.  All I can say is kids can be cruel.  Still to this day I find myself trying to cover the profile of my face when I'm around people I don't know. 

As of the last few years, I've also started having pain, crazy popping and cracking of my jaw joints.  Very uncomfortable to say the least.  Also, I'm sick of looking like a crazy person when I go out to eat.  Having to tear mozzarella sticks with my fingers or cut them with a fork, taking a bite out of a deli sandwich and taking all of the meat out of the sandwich with one bite, etc. 

I have a 9 year old daughter who unfortunately is tracking to have the same underbite I do.  I plan on having braces put on and head gear tried in efforts to make sure she doesn't have to go through what I still deal with on a daily basis. 

In the next few months, I will share with you my journey into correcting a problem I've had to deal with my entire life.  In 11 short days, I will be having a procedure done that will ultimately change my life forever.  Double jaw surgery aka orthognathic surgery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment